I recently had a birthday. It ended up being a very odd birthday for me. I was working and not just regular work, this was event work. Like overnight stay event work. I don’t worry so much if people remember my birthday or not. Wait, I take that back. There are a few that I care if they do or do not remember, like family, you know…mom, dad, husband. Those sorts. Anyway, other than that it isn’t a huge deal. I appreciate those who do remember and still love those who don’t. But there is one thing that I have decided that is a must: a cake! (most kinds will do). It could be big or small, short or tall and it must have at least one candle. I did not discover how important this was to me until it didn’t happen.
Rocky came up to Snowbird to join me for dinner as the event I was working came to a close. We cleaned up and finally headed for home. On the drive he gave me a thoughtful gift but I was still secretly hoping that there would be some sort of dessert waiting for me at home. The only thing waiting for me was the mess I had left….darn it! I realized that not only was I hoping for a little cake but also for my clothes to somehow put themselves away. My awesome mom told me once that if I keep my expectations low then I will almost always be pleasantly surprised. Well I decided that if I tell Rocky what my expectations are then I won’t have to lower them. So I told him that I was a little disappointed that I didn’t have a cake. He told me that he had no idea cake was so important because when he was growing up his birthday often wasn’t a big deal and he didn’t always get cake. I guess he could see that his answer didn’t really satisfy me because the next night when he came home from work (it was late and I was already on my way to dream land) he entered with a small cake and what looked like a small ball of fire on top (I was not wearing glasses) and he was singing happy birthday. So sweet.
So I have learned a few things. 1) For my birthday I expect some sort of sweet thing with a candle on top. 2) No matter how much I want my clothes to learn how to put themselves away they never will. 3) I have the sweetest husband in the world, ( okay, I already knew this but I love the little confirmations). Thanks for the cake babe.
PS...Thank you to my family too. Especially Peggy who made one of my favorite cakes, pudding cake.
3 comments:
Happy Birthday Joni!! :)
yeah to sweet hubbies
hahha was it the summit??
That is so sweet of Rocky. You guys have such a great relationship.
I think your honesty helps your relationship alot. I always assume Chris knows things, then when he doesn't I get frustrated.
HEY we are only on year 1 though. haha. we are getting alot better though. :)
K did you watch idol yesterday?
Chris is walking around singing "I AM YOUR BROTHER YOUR BEST FRIEND FOREVER..." then he found it online and has it playing in the other room...wow.
Post a Comment