Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Is less really more?

I have a friend who recently took a trip to Mexico.  While there she attended church with her kids.  She has a son in nursery and had taken him to nursery class to find that there was one toy for the 5 kids to share and they were so excited to share that one toy with her son because he was new.   She had wondered if they only had one toy or if that is what they thought church policy was.  Turns out they only had one toy.  She is awesome and putting together a box of toys to be delivered to them.  I'm sure the kids are going to love it.

For some reason I have been thinking about this tons.  I was touched that little nursery kids would be so excited to share their one toy with someone they didn't know.  If you aren't familiar  nursery kids are 18 months to 3 years old.  WOW!  James has like 5 billion toys and has a hard time sharing one.

If James only had one toy would he be more likely to share?  Would it mean more to him to see a happy friend because he shared?

I really do think that Less is MORE in most cases.  Especially with material things.  While I know this it is so hard to put in play.  I'm really good at buying THINGS.

All in all I have pondered what James would do/what I would do if I removed all of his toys but one?

My mom used to/well still gets rid of THINGS all the time.  We have gone without couches and a tv.  You had to be careful of what you left lying around the house.  It might come up missing one day.  If you were really lucky you could find it once again at the DI (thrift store).

Have you ever considered simplifying?  If yes, what have you done?

I'm off to ponder more less is more thoughts.

3 comments:

Jim said...

I just hope your mother doesn't put me out on the curb or take me to the DI for a newer model! Seriously, I am impressed with your depth of thought and the perception of what material items do to us. Maybe we'd all be a bit happier with fewer toys and taking the time to share them.

The Green Momster said...

We are getting rid of tons before we move. T-bug only has 1 stuffed animal and he loves it. I don't plan on getting him anymore. I may make him something if I get inspired, but no more buying. My kids don't play with anything in the playroom, so we are going to get rid of most of that. By the way, Do you need some GEO's?

Amy B said...

I agree with you! less is better. It is really easy to buy too many clothes adn too many toys for kids. AND adults... less is ok!